stoP And Inch North

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Clair de Lune



Tonight, I'm listening to Jim Croce on the DVD player while listening to Debussy in my head.

My newest project this week is learning to play Debussy's "Clair de Lune." Actually, given my current piano skills, this is more like a two month project.

I want to clear something up as well. When I say "Clair de Lune," I'm not referring to the website, tv show or the poem. Okay, now that that's settled, we can go on with the important stuff.

I mean, I'm talking DEBUSSY!!! Hella cool (as my friend Kristi used to say back in high school).

If you want, you can either buy it for $2.99 or download it for free.

Trust me when I tell you that this is the one you want. I'm currently obsessed with it. It's just beyond beautiful. One of my best friends in college (she was a piano performance major) played it on her senior recital. It was . . . amazing.

'Course, you know that "Clair de Lune" is french for "moon," right? It's one of the 2 french words I know; the other is "oiseaux" which means "birds." Thank you Olivier Messiaen. He used to transcribe bird song into his music--that and colors. He was a synaesthete; he heard modes in color. He's going to be a thesis topic someday, I can just feel it. I wrote my senior project on him. Actually, I wrote a piece of music called "Moon." Funny how that's such a popular name. If I ever get it published, I'll post it here. But I want it under copyright first.

However, I digress.

I also told you that I was listening to Jim Croce. I think that my favorite Croce song is "If I Could Save Time In A Bottle." Much like my previous combination of The Flaming Lips and Mahler, I can't tell you why these go well together in my head; but just that they do.

Moon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home